Thursday, September 17, 2009

Journal 10 College Essay

Sometimes I just sit on my computer chair thinking about my life. It may frustrate me; it may cheer me up, and even make me so frustrated that I scream my brains out. I scratch my head with the unanswerable questions and thoughts. And I still insist to get those answers for them.
I guess what mostly goes through my head is, why do people think I’m so typical? What’s typical is, guys liking chicks for their looks, girls falling for them, and then breaking up with them for another chick for their looks. But let me get this straight, I’m not your typical average guy.
I’m not perfect, but seeing what my friends go through is what’s typical. How they choose their boyfriends over friendship and then drift away then run back to us when they get hurt. Or when they listen to those who tell them what they want to hear rather to what they need to hear. That’s typical. I sometimes have a hard time relating to their situations but what’s weird is that I know how to answer them; I know how to treat them when they’re going through these conflicts, and I tell them the truth. Even when I’m built up to the top with school work I still manage to finish it all and have time for them. But I’m the kind of person that likes to leave that mark to remember. I like to be that person that you’ll remember. But people still think I’m typical, mark or no mark. I want to do something and prove them wrong.
I may surprise them with my cool editing designs, my amazing Photoshop skills, good grades, and more. But it’s like what else can I do? Is that it? Oh no, there more to me than just sitting on my computer chair and growing (what my teacher calls) ‘butt callus’ doing something slick smooth with things with Photoshop. I will do something, I know it’ll be soon, and maybe today is the day I’ll answers to those unanswerable questions.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the idea of the "not so typical guy" in your essay. And overall I thought it was a good essay. I like how you incoporated what you thought was a "typical" guy and what your friends do is typical. I also like how you admit that you are not perfect and really show your personality in your college essay.
    My only critic is to check your grammar a little. For example, with things in photo shop not with things with photoshop. And to not use "typical" so much. Other than that your essay was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea is really good and you supported your topic very well. You have very clever word choice such as "butt callus" lol. But I agree with
    Angela, maybe you could change up the words a little and not use the word "typical" as much. Overall, it was really good and very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Micah,
    Interesting look at the "guy behind the Photoshop" :) What college essay prompt was this?
    It's a bit easier for me to respond if I know the prompt.
    So here's my response without knowing :)
    I think your focus on not wanting to be typical would work, but I think you may want to broaden your idea of what's "typical." Right now, "typical" seems to refer mostly to romantic relationships, but I'm not sure your desire to be other than typical is limited to that context?
    I would recommend defining "typical" first, then showing how you are different. Thus, there may be 2-3 characteristics of a stereotypical teen male.
    You would then "show, not tell" how you are different. So the part about being a confidante for your girl friends, would be just one part of the description of your uniqueness.
    Let me know if you have questions...
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete